Thursday, August 23, 2007

Missing The Bus

Well, I had it coming. Like one of my first and oldest bloggy friends, "the bus" leaves at 0400 every morning to get the training, working, and parenting day started. Today, I missed it.

It's not because my alarm did not go off. I almost never set an alarm, and yet my eyes always pop open on their own at or before the appropriate, ungodly hour that the day begins. Today the eyeballs were one hour and forty minutes late.

Yep, I "slept in" until 0540--actually, once I knew I had "missed the bus" I rolled over and slept until 0600. Positively decadent. The disorganization caused by the change in schedule, however, has created a wardrobe emergency. I forgot my belt, and now the pants from the suit that fit just fine 18 months ago threaten to slip down over a body reshaped by all this effort.

My eyes' failure to pop open on their own should be no surprise. It is really as if my mind got me past the last long weekend of training and then took a breather. Now, my body has told me in no uncertain terms that it has had E-NUFF. It seems absurd given the Cambodia-like climate in which I've been training the last month, but I've had a cold since last Thursday.

It probably started as some kind of sinus infection before that. The night after a big swim, I would roll over in my sleep and what seemed like a gallon of lake or pool water would tumble out of the empty spaces in my head, which are apparently much larger than I had previously known. The snuffy nose turned into a sore throat after the last Iron Distance Weekend, which migrated to a dry, hacking, unproductive cough. Yesterday I ran with Coach T, and some of it was relatively quick, but I ran out of gas before we were completely done. I bagged yesterday's swim rather than aggravate my sinuses and respiratory tract, and since my symptoms were migrating "below the neck," it was probably an act of mercy that my body bagged this morning's bike ride in favor of a couple hours' extra sleep.

No worries. My bike is probably the least worrisome of the three disciplines at this point, and a couple days off at this point will make no difference in my ability to finish or not finish IMWI. Finishing is my only goal. Moreover, that unproductive cough has turned productive and I feel loads better. I might even get my run in this afternoon or this evening, depending upon how I feel.

Chicken soup and Vicks VapoRub -- on the house.

15 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I love that "sleeping in" still constitutes a 6am rise. Glad you listened to your body. I actually was feeling guilty about doing the same thing this morning. You made me feel better and HUMAN!

Kim said...

damn right, listen to your body and treat it like a rolls royce. funny that youre sleeping in is pretty much the time i get up every morning. youre a rock star!

The Stretch Doc said...

yeah bro, rest up, its always good.

Thanks for the shout out on Wil's comments..

and I was riding the Ironstar course or part of it that is posted on the HRTC site. They have a group every Sunday now that meets at Cedar Brake Park. Its about 50ish miles but missed one turn and extended our route that day. Heres the map: http://www.mapmytri.com/ride/united-states/tx/montgomery/723369691

rockon`

Jane said...

Nice abs, hot stuff [insert sexist catcall here]

momo said...

my daughter is feeling sick today too - one of those summer colds which are miserable. i hope you're feeling better!

don't forget to load up on the vitamin c!

Allez said...

Take care of yourself!

Unknown said...

Feel better fast. (Better to miss the bus than run yourself down -- especially when you're under the weather!)

Anonymous said...

so glad you gave yourself a break. anything you do or don't do now isn't going to make a difference at IM. you've done all the work. now let your body recuperate and you'll be good to go. i have no doubts AT ALL that you're going to be more than fine at the race...

Brent Buckner said...

Sleep the sleep of the deserving, dreaming of sweet cowbell music....

21stCenturyMom said...

I'm thinking a day or 2 off will do you a ton of good. Load and recover. You keep forgetting part deux, though.

Sleep and drink lots of water. You'll be back at 120% in no time.

Larissa said...

Funny, I did the same thing this morning (though what I had on tap was much less than you had, I'm sure). Sometimes the body needs the rest.

ps - I was able to get in touch with Mishele - we may meet up on Monday.

Pharmie said...

I agree with Curly Su - you're more likely to do harm than good at this point so take it easy for a couple of days. And drink LOTS of water. It'll keep that cough productive so you can get that junk up and out!

Lance Notstrong said...

Yeah, take it easy. You don't want to do Ironman like Triboomer did.

William Lobdell said...

0400? and you expect to be an ironman? that's the time you should be getting to bed! then you will really know about endurance.

Michelle said...

get your rest. It's much more important to get over your illness than worry about getting in a workout at this stage of the game.

BTW- nice pic. Rock solid stud!