Thursday, January 11, 2007

Man Space

I am the only one at this dog pound with a y chomosome. Wife, daughter, cat, two dogs . . . all female. All from the double x gender. There is no Monday Night Football (not that I could stay awake that late). There is no John Wayne. It is 24/7 HGTV. Although his mancard has been suspended more than once, at least Taconite Boy was able to bring his half of the tribe numerically even (if still undermanned) with the advent of Urp and Chopper. I am completely and utterly outnumbered.
So, while injured, I have spent some time this off-season getting in touch with my guy-ness and renewing my man card. Bolder has his "man couch," but even us domesticated married fellas need a little space to call our own. So I have started making my multisport paradise in our garage.
It is . . . . . the "Man Space."
100_0353
Note the bike box, the road bike on trainer, the tri-bike hanging from the ceiling, the rubberized flooring for core workouts, the equipment rack for helmets, shoes, wetsuits, goggles, the workbench for repair projects, and the large locker filled with nutrition, equipment and clothing for swim, bike and run. Ooooooooooooh. Pretty. Let's take a closer look.
Look at the size of that locker. In triathlon, size does matter.
100_0350
Inside the locker are shelves and baskets for swim bike and run apparel, towels, bike maintenance accessories, TYR transition bag, etc. Note the official U of H track jacket given to me by Coach T. Even I look fast in those threads.
100_0351
Then there's the equipment rack with the running shoes, cycling shoes, wetsuit, all the helmets . . .
100_0349
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, wait a minute. Where did all those pink helmets comer from?
And a verticle bike rack to hold the . . . . hang on. Those are girly mountain bikes.
100_0348
Ah, the triathlete stud's garage in still life: pedal wrench, hammer, binder's twine, short wave radio, copy of "Going Long," Triathlete mag, Amino Vital, bottle of fine scotch, all held up with .308 machine gun ammunition. No Kelly Clarkson in here. Brings a tear to my eye. I'm all verklempt. **sniff** It's a beautiful thing.
100_0352
And of course, NO GIRLS ALLOWED, . . . except the pack leader, . . . . and superpounce, . . . and
Gumbo the dog, . . . . and Cocoa the dog, . . . and Alyssa the Cat . . .
But other than that. NO GIRLS ALLOWED. Except if you pass the Bolder Rule of Biker Chick Hawtedness.
Oh look! There's one now!!
Curly-Su Rides Again
I wonder. Was this all just a ploy by the pack leader to get the garage cleaned and to get all my triathlon gear out of the closet?????
I've been snookered.

19 comments:

Laurie said...

Your man space looks great and oh so organized. But I believe you were right with the snookering bit. At least you have a man space. And women in your life to share it with. You know you can't bear to live without us!

Trisaratops said...

Dude.

Can you come to my house? And do that to, like, my basement or something?

That rocks!

Unknown said...

benny used to have a man room... and in fact, had a man couch is said room. he was to use it to tie flies, clean his guns and sharpen his knives. and gut and package the antelope he shot that day.

that room didn't last long.

Brent Buckner said...

Nice space!

Lance Notstrong said...

No matter where you go, you WILL get invaded!!! :-)

Triteacher said...

I am *jealous.* My girlie tri-space does not approach that! My builder has been promising a whole new set-up now for months - mind if I show him your pictures? Just for inspiration, of course... not to pressure him at all...

:) said...

Why is it that we have been relegated the the GARAGE? My "man space" is being updated as we speak. Should have pictures of the redesigned Flat-Cave soon enough.

Amy said...

That is awesome beyond awesome. I want one. But it's not in the cards in the 700 square feet we call our large (for Vancouver) apartment. We don't need a bedroom right???

Irongirl said...

Man space?!
What?!
I want a garage like that.
No garage with the apartment though. I am seriously thinking of getting a 2 bedroom just for me and the cats so that I can have a "tri room".

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you got my first time on a bike on camera. i feel exposed...

:)

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you got my first time on a bike on camera.

i feel exposed. :)

tri-mama said...

Sweet!!!! Ok, you can officially have the "Male Crisis Recovery Room" I'll be sending all offended and harrassed male bloggers your way, and perhaps in time you can take on the "re education" camp for man card droppers everywhere. Well done!

Spokane Al said...

As long as you keep the bullets on display I would say that you remain secure in your manhood and should be safe continuing to pee from the standing position.

Although, you may want to consider moving the pink helmets before your next picture taking session.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

oh yeah - what Sara said. Youse can come over this way any time. I so need a bike rack right now...

oh, and by the way? Tag! You're IT BUDDY!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

In one word - FAB!!!!!
Jenny
way to break it in, Su!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I want one!

Stay tuned...

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I want one!

Stay tuned...

Bolder said...

now, that's a man space.

i like the ammo, scotch, and assorted beer coolers...

oh, that model was hawt too...

Veeg said...

*drool*