Monday, May 29, 2006

I am a Triathlete

Eighteen months ago, I could not swim 100 yards without struggle. I had not done an MS150. The furthest I had ever ridden a bike was 36 miles--actually 34 because I had to be rescued by a friend after I bonked.

Today, I completed my first triathlon--an olympic distance triathlon. I wanted to quit for the first 400 yards of the swim. I did not quit. Cramps and nausea made me want to stop the first 10 minutes of the bike. I did not stop. I averaged 19.5 miles per hour. Brutal heat made me wonder if I could persevere on the run. I wonder no longer. I ran a 10k only about a minute slower than last year's PR in an open race. I finished my first triathlon, my first olympic distance race, in less than three hours.

I intend to post a race report and a few self-indulgent (maybe even maudlin) reflections over the next few days. As for now, I'm tired and Mrs. Greyhound wants (deserves) my time. Until the next post this one thought will have to suffice.

The process of getting from nonswimmer to triathlete has changed me. People who look at me can see some of the changes, the physical ones. But the changes one can see pale in comparison to those invisible changes that are fully known only to me. If you are on this path, keep putting your feet one in front of the other. If you are on the sidelines wondering whether to get in the game, step out. You never know where your feet might take you.

The road goes ever on and on.

7 comments:

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Bravo!

Stay tuned...

Nikki said...

Good job man! It was pretty rough out there on the run today. Good luck in your prep for Buffalo Springs.

Skinny said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to a little self indulgence on your part - you earned it. Very inspiring.

Unknown said...

Congrats on finishing your first tri today! I can't wait to hear the race report, and I know exactly how you're feeling, as I finished my first tri today too - although it was a much shorter sprint. :)

Anyway, looking forward to all the details of your race.

Iron Pol said...

Congratulations! The accomplishment of going from barely surviving a 100 yard swim in the pool to an open water race of 1500m is huge. You deserve the kudos, and the rest.

Five days until I can say the same thing (on a much smaller scale). Thanks for the note of caution on my bike. I'll get as much easy practice time as possible prior to the race.

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!

21st Century Mom said...

That is so fantastic and so very inspiring! I can do all 3 things but doing them all in a row is quite a different matter. Kudos to you for perseverance and for speed!