Thursday, December 14, 2006

Random Thoughts--Help Wanted

This is the performance enhancing drug I had on the way to the Greatest Health Club On The Planet this morning. I know it is toxic, and I know it enhances the bonk when the simple carbs and caffeine run out, but I needed it to get going. I.NEEDED.IT.
I can stop any time I want. Really.

Once I got going, I was a rockstar, if I do humbly say so myself. I know I am marathon-worthy when I reach 10x800 at a certain pace. With the race about 3.5 weeks off and taper just around the corner, I did 9x800 this morning.
Afterwards, I ate everything I brought for breakfast.
Then I ate everything I brought for lunch.
Then I had a Coke and chips.
Then I had two cups of coffee and an Advil.
Then, without meaning to, I fell into a coma-like sleep in my chair. I'm pretty sure my heart and all brain wave activity stopped.
I don't know if I can PR at the Disney Marathon given my owie issues and a crowded course, but the heart rate data from my 10 mile fartlek with Coach T and the 9x800 tells me I have enough gas in the tank to go under 4 hours again (which would make twice--thanks Coach T). As Triboomer would say, "stay tuned."

Now, for the help. IM Able and I exchanged e-mails and comments about something. She has named her tri-induced hunger (I call it a tapeworm) "TYR" to personalize it. I think I need to name the pain from my ruptured disc, because it is likely to recurr and be around for awhile. So, I am soliciting entries in the "name the chronic pain" contest. I have my own frontrunner name for the pain, but a truly brilliant entry by you might garner you some Greyhound Schwag.
In addition, regular readers know I'm trying to come back from injury and complete Ironman Wisconsin this year without my neck (or cranium or central nervous system) exploding and requiring surgery. This Odyssey requires a theme song to keep me motivated and on track. So, again, I turn to the knowledgable blogosphere. I have two songs that are frontrunners for me right now, but a truly brilliant entry by you may garner additional Greyhound Schwag. Please include lyrics if you have them.
Random acts of kindness are the order of the day. Go play.

18 comments:

21st Century Mom said...

The only reasonable name for your neck pain is "Owie". You can say "Owie and me did a farlek today" and people will think you have a friend named Howie and are a flatulant Brit who lost most of his accent somewhere along the way. As for your theme "Jump Around" by House of Pain gets my vote.

Anonymous said...

'We are the Champions' for the song.

I've paid my dues -
Time after time -
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime -
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face -
But I've come through

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world -

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls -
You brought me fame and fortuen and everything that goes with it
-
I thank you all -

But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise -
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race -
And I ain't gonna lose -

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world -


How about 'Frisbee' for the ruptured disc (get it, 'disc')?

Or, maybe 'CD'? (another kind of disc...)

By the way, I named my belly 'Que', for Susie-Q. :) Poor thing has shrunk lately, but he keeps telling me he'll be back (and yes, he's definitely male...).

Veeg said...

Hmmm. A pain in the neck that motivates you to keep active? I thought she'd already named herself "Nytro."

And I'd say "We're Not Gonna Take It." -- Twisted Sister

Iron Pol said...

Wow, sister Veeg is evil, today. I'm glad she said that instead of me.

I refer to all "under control" pains as Mogwai. Because there's no telling when they'll get that morsel (after dark, of course), that allows them to turn into a full fledged gremlin.

I'm still working out THE song for myself. And we all know you have a music background, so there's no competing.

Spokane Al said...

I suggest you consider changing your drink to Jones Whoop Ass Energy Drink. That will do the trick.

Concerning your theme song, perhaps you might consider One of These Days by Pink Floyd. Even though the lyrics are a bit negative, i.e. one of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces! the spectactular bass line will drive you to new heights.

Allez said...

What does that drink taste like? Tab Energy drink is good, but I think it's a "girly" drink. Pink, 5 calories, and lots of caffiene. Perfect for me :-)

Papa Tweet said...

Tanita has always been a bitch. Might as well continue the tradition. If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know. Oh, and thanks Veeg, I'm the one that has to live with her after that little comment. Maybe you didn't get the memo, Nytro is off the progesteroni. Things are a little touch and go over here.

Unknown said...

When I posted a Christmas parcel today the gal at the post office (subbing for someone else, working alone) was chugging Rockstar. And she was working FAST!

Although it is only an acronym, I suggest PIN for your pain, and perhaps acupuncture if it acts up ...

Bolder said...

Mmmmmmmm, Rockstar!

in the name the pain category, i'd have to go with 'BGWI'... it's aspirational: 'be gone with it'... oh, and it is the hook for your theme song... which will be on my blog on Monday!

it sure ain't my theme song!!

Veeg said...

Hee! Sorry Benny!

I *heart* Nytro and think she is the prettiest.

Lance Notstrong said...

Pain in your neck: chicken neck
Song: Van Halen (Hagar) "Right Now"

Michelle said...

I like the song 'Headstrong' by Trapt. It's just cocky and bullheaded enough to get the job done.

shelek said...

I like the name Rupert (cousin to Herbert, the tumor in my knee). That's just me.

As for songs, may I suggest "Scars" by Papa Roach.

shelek said...

I like the name Rupert (cousin to Herbert, the tumor in my knee). That's just me.

As for songs, may I suggest "Scars" by Papa Roach.

shelek said...

I like the name Rupert (cousin to Herbert, the tumor in my knee). That's just me.

As for songs, may I suggest "Scars" by Papa Roach.

shelek said...

I like the name Rupert (cousin to Herbert, the tumor in my knee). That's just me.

As for songs, may I suggest "Scars" by Papa Roach.

shelek said...

I like the name Rupert (cousin to Herbert, the tumor in my knee). That's just me.

As for songs, may I suggest "Scars" by Papa Roach.

Unknown said...

clearly, you need some more "rock star"... to get you motivated to FREAKING POST ON YOUR BLOG.