Thursday, June 15, 2006

Give and Get

"Remember, we all stumble, every one of us. That's why it's a comfort to go hand in hand."
--Emily Kimbrough

I just did something selfish--selfish because I know I'm going to have a blast. I volunteered for Ironman Wisconsin.

I am going to be a finishing line "catcher." I get to be there when all these competitors reach the goal they've been pursuing for all these hard months. I get to be the one to hold them up and soak up the light and power of their sweat and tears. When Iron Wil and TriSaraTops cross the line, when the announcer screams, "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!" I'll get to hear it with my own ears and feed on their excess joy. You could light the eastern seaboard with joy like that. Bottle it and carry it home.

This is volunteering. Supposedly it is giving, but I'm getting so much, that cannot possibly be true. Try it. Volunteer for a race. Give nutrition on the bike course and cheer at Ironman Wisconsin. Give cold water and encouragement to the Kahuna or TriMama at Ironman Florida. Donate to a team in training member like Tri-Boomer or Curly-Su. Support Bold's efforts on behalf of the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Give and you will never ever run out.

Triathlon makes good friendships, and it is impossible to outgive good friendships.

5 comments:

Trisaratops said...

OMG! I am soooooooooo excited!!!!! This is awesome news!!!! Walchka, Siren, and Trimama are going to be volunteering, too--not sure where--but we are all grateful for you guys to help us out! Hopefully I'll be able to stand at the end and will be smiling....Chris, qcmier, Wil and I are, I'm sure, glad to hear you'll be joining us! :)

Eric said...

Bravo my man. I've volunteered at some races and the feeling is great. I encourage everyone to volunteer at least once at an event. I have 5 family members, including my kids, volunteering at an aid station at IM USA. It will be great to get a water bottle from my son or daughter on course.

TTUTri said...

Way to go! This is a great way to support the sport!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Grandma would say to me, "Be a river; not a reservoir." My hat's off to you.

I'd like to join you at IM Wisconsin but I'll be racing Big Kahuna Half Ironman the same day.

Stay tuned...

21st Century Mom said...

Good for you and what a great experience.