Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Iron Sharpens Iron

Hanging around ironman triathletes can be dangerous. I do not mean dangerous in the sense of overuse injuries, bicycle wrecks and open water swim accidents, although I am sure that is also part of the deal. I am talking about the danger of befriending people who dream big--people who see visions.

Nothing dangerous about a friendly little brick session among friends, right? M&M discloses this morning that her real "A" race this season is not a half-iron, as I supposed. Noooooooooo. IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA. (Incidentally, M&M needs a new internet pseudonym--something with a warrior-goddess connotation). I get fired up about this huge dream and start talking about all the ways I can help with training and cheerleading to make it happen for her. Then . . .

. . . it comes down to my goal. I had contemplated doing the Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon, a half-iron, but no one was available to play cheering section and help with the logistics of getting "there and back again." M&M puts on the "no excuses" mentality, commits to going to the race with me, and immediately puts together the pit crew of her friends that will see me though.

So, now I have to quit procrastinating and sign up.

So, now I have to really train with conviction, otherwise M&M and her tough triathlete friends will see me cry like a baby.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man [or irongirl] sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

No comments: