Thursday, September 11, 2008

Because You Asked

At your request, and because the customer is always right, here is the rough recipe for black beans and quinoa. I found it online, originally, but have modified it to suit me over time.

Dump about a tablespoon or two of olive oil in your wok or large saucepan for purposes of sauteing some an onion you chopped and at least a heaping tablespoon of chopped garlic. Saute until golden, a little brown and carmelized if that's how you roll, or less so if not.

Dump in 2 cups of chicken broth and 3/4 cup quinoa, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt and ground pepper to taste. Stir so it gets mixed well and does not stick. Medium heat until boiling, reduce heat, cover, simmer 20 minutes, checking and stirring periodically to make sure it's not getting too too dry or sticking to the pan and burning.

While it's cooking, set aside two drained cans of black beans and about a cup+ of frozen corn.

Add the black beans and corn to the quinoa mixture, continue simmering about 5 minutes until heated through.

Top off with some chopped cilantro (to taste) and maybe even garnish with some colby/jack cheese. It keeps in the fridge all week, and tastes even better after the spices have married overnight. I hold the cilantro and cheese in reserve until I pull it out and heat it up.

Mmmmmmmm. That's good eatin'.

6 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I have a similar (and delish!) recipe that I always bring to my office pot lucks. It has one extra ingredient you may want to try with your concoction...fresh squeezed lime juice. Somehow, it just makes it all wake up and taste even better!

I'm going to try your recipe this weekend. Yum.

Jane said...

You need to make a food blog now. I'm defintiely gonna try this recipe. You already know how healthy quinoa is.

Fe-lady said...

THANK YOU! :-)

Anonymous said...

i. hate. cilantro.

21stCenturyMom said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dee-lish.

cilantro is definitely one of those love it or hate it spices. I love it but I'll bet it tastes like soap to Curly Su.

Anyhow - thanks. This is an excellent, high protein meal. Yum!

Real Deal said...

Good stuff. I'm half Cuban, so black beans are my favorite! I grew up on black beans and rice with pork or chicken.

Getting hungry just thinking about it.