Monday, October 01, 2007

SAVE THE TATAS!

Manet,_Edouard_-_Blonde_Woman_with_Bare_Breasts

Gentle reader, should consider this post to be a public service, in more ways than one. First, as remarkable as it may seem, this space you are reading now has been nominated as a top feminist blog by someone who should know her feminism. I was also tagged by a pirate to write on feminism. Because I'm all about the feminism, I would be remiss if I neglected to mention that October is "Breast Cancer Awareness Month."

Second, don't be fooled by the bow tie and the show tunes. I am ALL guy. I'm feminist in a sort of misogynistic, men are pigs kind of way. Because I have a y chromosome and all the recreational equipment that goes along with that combo, breasts are many splendored things for me. They are a wonder of nature that defy physical laws like gravity and the confound the ability of any man to string together two rational thoughts. I mean, many's the time I have been overcome by . . . . uhm . . .

I'm sorry. What were we talking about?

Thus, you can put me very much in the "pro-boob" camp. Once and for all, I categorically take my stand as a breast supporter.

I come by this honestly and from a very young age.

breast-feeding

But long after these amazing and captivating features of female beauty ceased to be a source of nutrition, they continued to be a source of fascination. Indeed as early as the 1970s, I had a heck of a time trying to play GI Joe with my elementary school friend because this was on the wall:


farrah-fawcett02

I was focused like a laser beam, but not on her eye, non on her smile and certainly not on GI Joe. Ah, the 1970s.

1975_lg

The 1980s saw no let up in my . . . . er, . . . support of all things boobie.


bo_derek10

After all, I was a teenager in the 1980s.

SI cover

Sad to say, not much has changed in my fascination concerning the female form into what is now my fourth decade on the planet. Now, in my defense, any man who tells you he has grown up and is no longer 13-years-old in this regard is simply lying to you.

As I've gotten more athletic, I've been mesmerized by the athletic female who could undoubtedly break me in half.

DesV


CoverApril

But I digress. Let us not forget the ostensible purpose behind this post.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, with all kinds of events including Races for the Cure all over the country. If you have never done one of these events, you should. The cancer survivors run or walk in pink, and for them, 5k truly is an iron victory.

komen

I daresay, there is not one among us who has escaped being touched by cancer. Many have lost moms or sisters or (God forbid) daughters to breast cancer. An estimated 178,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in the United States during 2007. An estimated 40,460 women will die from breast cancer. It is estimated that 2,030 men will be diagnosed and 450 men will die of breast cancer during 2007. In addition to invasive breast cancer, 62,030 new cases of in situ breast cancer are expected to occur among women in 2007. Of these, approximately 85 percent will be ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS).

But if caught early, breast cancer is one of the most treatable of all cancers. So, take charge of your boobies and get informed.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation is a great place to start in searching for solid information concerning breast cancer. There a great collection of information about the disease, including downloadable cards for questions you should ask your doctor on everything from finding a lump in your breast to receiving a cancer diagnosis. There is a collection of all the recommendations for early detection and screening from various sources. The Komen Foundation's particular recommendations for women without additional risk factors are:

From Age 20: MONTHLY (i.e., every month without fail) Breat Self-Exam

Ages 20-39: Clinical Breast Examination at least every 3 years.

Age 40 and Up: Mammography and Clinical Breast Examination every (EVERY) year.

CAD_mammogram_vertical

If you don't know how to do a self-exam, there are downloadable cards with ez-to-follow directions. If it gives you the willies, get over yourself! It's your body, and who should touch it if not you? Certainly not me. Even though I am totally pro-boob, I'm not permitted to offer "hands on" assistance.

mammogram

So, there you have it. One . . . or two of the most beautiful things on the planet are right there on your body, and you have the power . . . nay, the obligation, to protect beauty wherever you find it. Raise your awareness! Tell your friends! Guys, assist (er . . . . insist) upon a proper breast examination for your partners. Take up the call!



SAVE THE TATAS!

wpsmall01

No need to thank me, gentlemen. I'm just here to help.

25 comments:

Bigun said...

"save the tatas" will be my mantra when things get rough in my upcoming half...thanks Greyhound!

Brent Buckner said...

Good work.

And likely to get some Google hits....

21stCenturyMom said...

I don't mean to harsh on your boob love - it's normal. But let's remember to focus on the problem, please.

You get an A+ for the prevention pep talk. As for the boob love, that was very you and very honest and very cute but you missed a really important point. It isn't about saving the lucious tatas - it's about saving the woman's life. No woman should think twice about having her breasts lopped off if they are infected with cancer and yet it becomes an agonizing choice because we love boobs in this country.

Love the boobs but never mind saving them at all costs. Ladies, do your self exam, get your mamogram and if you get cancer loose 'em if it makes sense. They make really good replacements these days.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Love it Greyhound!
Thanks and I will schedule my mammogram today.
My mom is a 17-year survivor of breast cancer,....

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

It's nice to hear a guy who is Pro Boob talk about it in an intelligent way from a guy perspective (though I gotta say - some of those chickies not so much with the boobies).

Nonetheless, breast cancer is no laughing matter - no matter their size, it's an equal opportunity disease.

Will you too be running in pink with the Breast Cancer survivors?

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Did you really look at the photo of the mammography table???? Now, you know why most women don't like 'em squeezed, pinched and otherwise clenched with force. Too many bad mental images!!!

Andra Sue said...

Great post, but geeeeeeez...ya coulda labeled it "NSFW"! :)

CoachLiz said...

Go schedule that mamogram! I have no ta-tas (and those of you in the Houston area who have seen me race can verify that fact) and I still get the skin from my back brought over my shoulder to be put between those two plates to be squeezed along with an ultra-sound. Get a friend, sister, mother, co-worker, or neighbor to go with you and to get an exam as well.

Just because I have to buy the bras from the kid's section at Target does not mean that I cannot get breast cancer.

Lance Notstrong said...

Well said Greyhound :-)

Taconite Boy said...

what....on right...yes get checked!

I call Trimama

Tri-Dummy said...

Pro-boob. Pro-breast feeding. Pro-preventative checks.

Anti-cancer.

Loved the post.

I used to roll a Cheryl Tiegs poster. What a dame!!!

tri-mama said...

Can we get this on Utube? I age up to mammogram next year.

Iron Girl Nyhus said...

Great post Greyhound... hmmm, I may have a few years to go, but I guess it's never too early, eh?

Laura

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Awesome post! I am firmly pro ta-ta and I can never figure out why some women are so squeamish about this particular topic. It's just a part of our biology, and one of the easiest parts to check for potential illness!

pinkgurugal said...

boobs are cool and visual and precious...
:)

Fe-lady said...

Get the exam every couple of years...but I never had to lay on the table like that...
And I should mention. Men get breast cancer too...they should check.
Now, when you turn 50, PLEEZE don't go into picture details about your colonoscopy! I beg you!

Michelle said...

Great post...Could have done without the mammogram shot!

Real Deal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Real Deal said...

Looking for other triathletes, I found your blog. My family recently suffered a loss to Ovarian Cancer, which is closely linked to Breast Cancer. Thanks for the great post!

LIVESTRONG

Liam O'Connell said...

wow.

No Wetsuit Girl said...

SAVE THE BOOBIES!!! I love it!

Thanks for the reminder, and most of all, thanks for the eye candy!

pinkgurugal said...

i office by the race. it was really fun to watch all the racers go down allen parkway this saturday. to tata's and the pursuit of protecting them! :)

Tammy said...

Hey, where's that free mammogram guy? Uninsured, starving students need to know! ;)

Steve Stenzel said...

I was going to comment eariler, but I could never open your page at work!! Nicely, nicely done!

SixTwoThree said...

Ah, great post! You're cracking me up. Point taken.